Our Church Buildings
St Paul’s Church is in the south of the parish and is grade 2* listed. The original church burnt down a few years after being built in 1848 and most of the current building, by G E Street in Victorian Gothic style, dates from 1856. At just about the highest point in the parish, and with a prominent spire, the church is a noted local landmark. The church has some fine stained glass, most notably in the East window. There is a memorial to John Ruskin, who lived nearby, in the nave.
Following extensive fund-raising and much prayer in the parish, a major reordering of the back third of the nave was completed in 2014. A new welcome area was created, separated from the worship area by a floor-to- ceiling glass screen incorporating a First World War Memorial Screen which previously formed the entrance to the chancel. A modern and well- equipped kitchen, a spacious and sound-proofed crèche, a meeting room, two toilets (one fully accessible) and storage areas were also created.
Herne Hill Road
St Saviour’s Church is housed in a building erected in 1914 to serve as the church hall. When the Victorian church next door was demolished in the 1980s, the church hall was consecrated and took on the dual role of church and church hall.
St Saviour’s is grade 2 listed. It is a fine Edwardian building.
In order for the church to house the weekly service at St Saviour’s, volunteers set out platform blocks, up to 200 chairs, an altar table, banners and other furnishings on a Saturday evening or Sunday morning to create a space for the Sunday morning service. This transforms a versatile space into a place of worship and Godly encounter. It’s all put away again after the service ends.
At other times the church is the setting for other parish activities. It is used by St Saviour’s School for plays, end of term/year services and drama classes. It is hired out at weekends for children’s parties and during the week for a range of community meetings and activities, including Brownies.